Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On the future of brand slogans

Todays in Advertising Age article Amsterdam Abandons the 30-Second Spot and Why Long-Form Ads Are the Wave of the Future they write about downfall of expensive tv commercials vs online inexpensive films.

When I read that I remembered a post I published awhile ago where I also speculated about the future destiny of classical tv ads. Not so much in terms of "expensive short vs inexpensive long" but from my point of view that in the future ads will look more like movie trailers offering deeper interactive experiences ... with clever product placements... and free of any direct selling propositions or any self-congratulatory messages.

I bet that 5 to 7 years from now on the majority of all tv or video ads will be like mini-movies with an exciting (hopefully) story and a product placement.

So the creative challenge will be less about crafting a commercial message and more about inventing an engaging and memorable experience that can be traced back to a brand.

and btw, i am almost sure no one will be making ads like this.

No comments: