Our process of cognition of any sort of reality consists of two main parts:
1. Imitation (study)
2. Manipulation (mastery)
What we call ‘evolution’ follows the same pattern.
BRIEF HISTORY OF ART
1. A shaman draws the first picture: imitation with spiritual (internal) point of reference.
Example: entoptic patterns of early paleolithic cave art, aboriginal art, etc.
2. Followed by imitation with physical (external) point of reference.
Example: realistic forms in classical art
3. Followed by manipulation with physical point of reference
Example: free forms, cubism, impressionism, expressionism, etc.
4. Followed by revived interest in imitation with spiritual point of reference
Example: psychedelic art, abstract, etc.
5. Followed by manipulation with spiritual point of reference
Example: kaos magick art, spiritually conceptual art, etc.
note: # 5 is an extension of # 1